HSE MANAGER – SPV & BATTERY STORAGE PROJECTS – UNITED KINGDOM
METKA EGN, is hiring for HSE Manager in the United Kingdom for the SPV & Battery Storage Projects HSE Department. The HSE manager works closely with the other HSE Managers, the Project Director and the construction and O&M Project Managers (PM) within METKA–EGN. Additionally, he/she is responsible for ensuring safe systems of work are in place externally with the subcontractors carrying out works at our solar and battery storage power plants. This includes liaising with the client’s representatives and local Council (LPA) when required. For ease tasks are separated into three clear operational phases these are; preconstruction, construction, operations and maintenance. Additionally, the HSE managers would be expected to take on additional responsibilities and management of H&S in the London Office.
The HSE Manager should report regularly to the Project Director and the other HSE Managers.
During the preconstruction phase the HSE manager will assist the Project Director and the other HSE Managers in the preparation and planning stages for the construction. This will involve;
- liaising with the Client, Principal Designer (PD), Designers and Project Manager (PM) to ensure good communication between all duty holders
- in liaison with the Project Director, Client, PD, PM and Landlord attend the kick off meeting
- assisting the other HSE Managers when required to read, collate and all HSE requirements from the Preconstruction Information (PCI), associated documentation and planning conditions relevant to the project
- liaising with the whole project team to ensure that all foreseeable risk and hazards are identified and included in the construction phase health and safety plan (CPHSP)
- liaising with the PD and designers to ensure the Design Risk Assessment (DRA) is produced and updated through all phases of construction
- providing advice to the project team on all matters of HSE
- in consultation with the other HSE Managers prepare the CPHSP
During the construction phase;
- attend an initial site meeting to ensure that all members to the project team are aware of their roles and responsibilities in regards to HSE
- advise on the correct site establishment, including ensuring welfare is sufficient and in accordance with applicable laws and regulations
- ensure that the HSE site manager is aware of the METKA EGN Safe Management System (SMS) and adheres to it
- provide HSE advice to the project team, conduct HSE monitoring and audits to ensure that METKA EGN’s management systems are implemented
- conduct HSE audits and produce HSE audit reports for closings out HSE issues
- in the event of an accident or incident there may be a need to conduct an internal investigation, this could be through us not being satisfied with the investigation carried out by the HSE site manager or if requested by the client or Health and Safety Executive or Environmental Agency
- prior to energization and works completion conduct a HSE site inspection to ensure that all mandatory H&S signage and measures are in place
- assist the project team in the collation of the documentation required for the power plant health and safety file
- collation of construction phase HSE site folders according to METKAEGN’s SMS
During the operations & maintenance Phase;
- Conduct annual HSE audits to ensure that METKA EGN is compliant with HSE law, legislations and regulations and check that our main O&M contactors HSE management systems are compliant
- When other subcontractors are employed other than the main O&M contractors ensure full compliance in regards to HSE which means several additional requirements e.g., RAMS review/approval, preparation of CPP if required, notification to HSE if required, review competencies of workers, issue PTW and ensure compliance with our SMS, ensure contractors are on our approved subcontractor list (PQQ approved), etc.
- ensure that all H&S signage is in place
- take the HSE lead in ensuring safe systems of work (SSoW) and safe conditions are in place around the whole site
- ensure the site is fully compliant with all H&S documentation
- ensure the site is fully compliant with Fire Reform Regulations
- undertake a thorough review of all risk assessments and method statements
- conduct accident/incident investigation post incident and produce detailed report showing key findings, root cause and conclusions/recommendations
- produce HSE audit reports and provide to the METKA EGN O&M PMs and contractors for closing out
Ensure that all contractors undertake the METKA EGN Pre Qualification Questionnaire (PQQ) to ensure that they are deemed competent as regards health & safety to work on any of our projects.
Assist the other HSE Manager and the Project Director in prequalification and tender for new projects
Brief the whole project team on the accident, incident procedure, including near miss whether reportable to the Health and Safety Executive or not. Conduct investigation into complaints.
Ensure METKA EGN’s London office is compliant in regards to HSE, including;
- maintaining/updating H&S notice board
- ensuring all first equipment is in date and stocked
- ensuring that all fire extinguishers are serviceable and in date
- conducting new starters inductions
- ensuring new starters sign office risk assessment
- updating the training matrix
Direct reports: 3-7 persons
Budgetary responsibility: NO
- NO penalties-fines/improvement notices/prohibition notices/ prosecutions for breaches of HSE
- ZERO fatalities/accidents/incidents/major injuries/ill-health diseases/over 3-day injuries/dangerous occurrences/near misses
- Qualifications Health and Safety holding at least National Examination Board in Occupational Safety and Health (NEBOSH).
- Technical Competencies: Electrical/Mechanical/Civil Engineering
- Proven (minimum 1-2 years) strong Construction Health, Safety and Environmental Management experience in large scale solar and/or battery plants, on EPC side.
- Detailed understanding of health and safety engineering and construction issues and processes
- NEBOSH Construction Cert desirable but not mandatory
- NEBOSH Environmental Cert desirable but not mandatory
- NEBOSH Fire Cert desirable but not mandatory
- ISO9001, 14001, 45001 or OHSAS18001 internal or lead auditor desirable but not mandatory
- Risk Assessment cert desirable but not mandatory
- Ability to think analytically, critically assess requirements and select best approach to meeting safety objectives.
- Very good communication and interpersonal skills at all levels.
- IT literate with demonstrable Microsoft Office skills
- Driving license
- English speaker
- METKA EGN London office
CV’s can be sent to the following email address: Ioannis.email@example.com